Performance Nutrition

Performance nutrition is an essential factor to any athletes training and competition programme. Fuelling your body with the right foods and nutrients after exercising is the key to help you achieve optimal performances. The importance of diet and nutrition on sports performance, is becoming more and more recognised, especially in recent years. Not only is performance nutrition important for competitive athletes, it is becoming more relevant to a mainstream market with recreational athletes and active individuals striving to reach goals. Performance nutrition is constantly being researched and continues to evolve and develop. Studies have shown that dairy products play an important role in recovery.

Exercise results in physiological stress. When the body is trying to recover, many major restorative processes are activated. These restorative processes include: repair of damaged muscle, recovery of fuel stores, restoration of fluid and electrolyte balance and inflammatory and anti-inflammatory responses. There are two main processes which are affected by nutrient intake during recovery. The first being, glycogen resynthesis- the replenishment of muscle fuel stores and the second being muscle protein synthesis- repair, growth and remodelling of muscle. Both protein and carbohydrates are needed for these two processes which are found in dairy products.

Dairy plays an important role for recovery of the body after exercise. Milk and milk produts contain both protein and carbohydrates, which are two nutrients essential for maximal recovery. It also provides fluid and electrolytes, which are essential for adequate re-hydration. Milk is made up 13% solids - 27% of these solids are protein. Both casein and whey protein are present in milk. 20% of the protein in milk is whey protein while the remaining 80% is casein protein. Whey protein is fast digesting and has a rapid amino acid appearance in blood whereas casein protein is slow digesting and has a delayed amino acid appearance in the blood. Dairy protein is an excellent source of essential amino acids, especially branched chain amino acids, in particular leucine. Leucine is the primary branched chain amino acid which has the most benefit to it. Leucine activates a major complex in the anabolic (muscle building) pathway called mTOR which increases protein synthesis. Pow-Cow is made using a strained Greek style yogurt. As Greek style yogurt is derived from milk, Pow-Cow contains both carbohydrates and protein, including all the amino acids. Pow-Cow has the highest quality grass fed whey protein added to it so therefore making it the perfect snack to eat after a workout to fully recover your body.

In the last decade, the world of sport scientist are beginning to understand that both the nutrients and the timing we consume these nutrients are also of great importance. Consuming the correct nutritents at the correct time maximises the body’s response to the exercise and the use of the nutrients within the food. Immediately after exercising, a window opens where your muscles are primed to accept nutrients to maximise growth and repair. This is only for a short period of time though, up to 3-4 hours. The rate at which muscles can recover its fuel stores by converting carbohydrate foods into muscle glycogen or to increase muscle protein synthesis, is reduced if the recovery meal is consumed hours after the workout. If you feed your body with the correct foods, such as dairy products during this short window, you will receive the benefits.
Nutrient composition is also very important for post workout recovery. You should consume foods which have a source of protein and carbohydrate, Pow-Cow has just that! The protein supplies amino acids which are needed for muscle protein synthesis and the carbohydrate provides a source of glucose for glycogen resynthesis (or refuelling). When a food containing both of these nutrients are consumed after exercise, they work together to stimulate insulin secretion. Insulin acts as an anabolic hormone within the body to stimulate these recovery processes. The ratio of carbohydrate-to-protein, after a workout which is optimal for muscle protein synthesis and glycogen re-synthesis is 4:1 on average.

Therefore, Pow-Cow is the ultimate sports performance and recovery food! Pow!